Plumbing Permits

The City of Hoover has adopted the 2015 International Plumbing Code. Copies of this code are located in the Hoover Library Reference Section or may be purchased from the International Code Council. The International Code Council may be reached at 205-591-1853 or online.

Plumbing permits are required for all plumbing work, whether repairs or new installations. A licensed master plumber or the property owner must perform the plumbing work.

Download the application

Prerequisites for Plumbing Permit

Prerequisites for obtaining a Plumbing Permit are as follows:

  • A building permit, if applicable
  • A contractor must have a current Master Plumbing Card from the Alabama Plumbers and Gas Fitters Board.
  • A description of work to be performed
  • Address or location that the work will be performed
  • The contractor performing the work must have an active City of Hoover business license.

Permit fees are calculated based on the work to be performed. A fee schedule is provided on the application form. The minimum permit fee is $50.00** Blank permit applications can be provided to applicants by calling 205-444-7522. Completed permit applications must, however, be submitted for processing by mail or in person and must be accompanied by fee payment.

Inspections, by this department, are required on all work performed.

**A fee of $1.00 per $1,000 of authorized construction cost is collected, as required by the State of Alabama, to be used to fund the Construction Industry Craft Training (CICT) Program for commercial plumbing permits.

Sanitary Sewer Installations

If sanitary sewer installations or repairs are being performed, please click here to determine which jurisdiction the system is served by. Each jurisdiction has distinct requirements regarding the specifications, permits, and inspections. The Inspection Services staff can provide assistance in determining the appropriate jurisdiction and requirements pertaining to sanitary sewer installations and repairs.

The appropriate county health department (Jefferson County or Shelby County) governs septic tank repairs and installations - not the City of Hoover.